July 24th Barona, California

July 24 Barona , California
The two weeks prior to this race we had spent a significant amount of time rebuilding the motor on the car once again. We had bought and replaced so many parts on the car we didn’t know what the car had in store for us in Barona this weekend but we were anxious to know! We had bought a new crankshaft, valve covers, intake rockers, ball adjusters, rocker arm adjuster bolts, fuel pump clamp, burn down tubes, rocker shaft stand, rocker shaft, push rods, lifter, rings, intake valve springs, clutch arms, clutch base springs and bearings. So we didn’t have a very good idea on how the car was going to run at the race this weekend.
Barona is an 1/8 mile track, which we aren’t the hugest fans of just because it is hard to stop the car before hitting the kitty litter. But luckily the first pass went well for us! We were number 2 qualifier and we weren’t all over the place and we didn’t have violent tire shake which was fantastic news! The blower also made 18 pounds of boosts at 9 over!
We came back to the pits and serviced the car, then we started it. We heard a pop and then a flame came out of the zoomies and then the car shut off. Obviously the motor wasn’t happy and then we realized that the shoot cables were broken. Now this was one of our worst nightmares. We were so excited for the second pass, because the car had done so well on the first. And now a small thing like the chute cable breaking was stopping us? We were on a mission to find a fix for the parachute cable. We had already missed the second qualifying pass trying to fix the cable. Then Tom went around to the other racers asking if they had spare shoot cables. Finally we found one, thank you Hal Rishton. We were able to fix the cables in time to make the first elimination round. And even though we had missed the second qualifying pass we were still qualified number two!
On the first elimination round we ended up having to wait in the staging lanes for a while because an altered that was in front of us had gotten into the kitty litter. We had some time to talk to some fans about the car. Finally we got up to the line and we were ready to race, but at the end burn out, the car just shut off. So unfortunately it had to be towed off of the track. We were done racing for the night but we were hoping that we could pull it together for the race next weekend in Albequerque, New Mexico.
We met some great fans in the staging lanes.  Fans like the ones at Barona are the reason that we work so hard to run the car. They are a great motivation to keep us working hard out in the garage on those hot summer days.
This entry was posted in Uncategorized. Bookmark the permalink.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s